There are still some Irish strawberries available, on my drive back from Wexford on Saturday I passed numerous stalls selling their wares that would normally be well finished by this time of the year. If you get some good quality ones a simple recipe that showcases their beauty is best. I found this one in the Chocolate and Zucchini book by Clotilde Dusoulier, author of the blog of the same name. It's a really quirky little book and has earned a place on my shelves simply because everything in it is original and just that little bit different. The only change I made was to replace one large egg with one medium one plus another yolk which makes the filling just a little bit richer.
The pastry for this recipe is the same as she uses for her plum tart here, prepare and bake blind as she describes.
1 medium egg + 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
120 ml milk
- whisk eggs, vanilla, sugar and cornstarch together
- bring the milk to the boil, pour it over the egg mix and whisk
- return to the saucepan and whisk over a low heat until thickened
- cool slightly and then spoon into tart shells
- leave to cool and then topped with washed, sliced strawberries