Friday, January 4, 2008

Almond Slices



My granny used to make these yummy almond slices and lo and behold when making my mince pies this year I glimpsed a recipe on the back on the packet of flour. Yesterday was a stormy day, bitterly cold and lashing rain. A good day for baking something comforting to go with that cup of tea.

It wouldn't be me if I didn't fiddle around with the prescribed recipe, for a start I replaced the margarine with butter as I hate the feeling that you get when the margarine coats the top of your mouth. Next it called for 2 tbsp of jam - I needed 1/2 jar to cover the base with a thin layer.

Almond Slices (adapted from recipe on Odlums flour packet)

Base:
175g plain flour
pinch of salt
75g unsalted butter
2-3 tbsp cold water

Topping:
200g jam
125g unsalted butter
125g caster sugar
125g ground almonds
75g plain flour
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract

flaked almonds to decorate


  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees
  • Sieve flour and salt together
  • Rub in butter until it resembles breadcrumbs
  • Add just enough water for the dough to come together
  • Roll dough out and line a Swiss Roll tin (it will look like it couldn't possibly stretch that much but persevere - it will)
  • Spread jam over dough in a thin layer
  • Melt remaining butter and stir in sugar, ground almonds and flour.
  • Beat in eggs and almond extract
  • Pour topping over jam (again it will look like you don't have enough - it does rise in the oven)
  • Sprinkle over flaked almonds
  • Bake for 18-20 mins

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
I came across your blog yesterday and am already a fan - it reminds me of myself, though I haven't taken the plunge of starting my own blog yet! My grandmother also made these, and called them German slices for some strange reason. I make them every Christmas. I'd love to here from you at helendal@yahoo.com.
Helen (An Irish foodie in Munich)

Sophie said...

I'm Sophie, Key Ingredient's Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Sophie
http://blog.keyingredient.com/

Anna said...

Hi There! Ive been looking for the recipe all over the place after getting addicted to these while in England. Ur recipe is the closest I found to the ones I bought at Greggs and other awesome bakeries. However Im a bit stuck with the measurements and is 180 degree oven is in F or C? I know I may not sound too bright but Im new to cooking :(

Kate said...

Hi Anna,

Yes 180 deg is in C - the equivalent temperature in F would be 360. Hope this helps :-)