Friday, January 4, 2008

Almond Slices



My granny used to make these yummy almond slices and lo and behold when making my mince pies this year I glimpsed a recipe on the back on the packet of flour. Yesterday was a stormy day, bitterly cold and lashing rain. A good day for baking something comforting to go with that cup of tea.

It wouldn't be me if I didn't fiddle around with the prescribed recipe, for a start I replaced the margarine with butter as I hate the feeling that you get when the margarine coats the top of your mouth. Next it called for 2 tbsp of jam - I needed 1/2 jar to cover the base with a thin layer.

Almond Slices (adapted from recipe on Odlums flour packet)

Base:
175g plain flour
pinch of salt
75g unsalted butter
2-3 tbsp cold water

Topping:
200g jam
125g unsalted butter
125g caster sugar
125g ground almonds
75g plain flour
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract

flaked almonds to decorate


  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees
  • Sieve flour and salt together
  • Rub in butter until it resembles breadcrumbs
  • Add just enough water for the dough to come together
  • Roll dough out and line a Swiss Roll tin (it will look like it couldn't possibly stretch that much but persevere - it will)
  • Spread jam over dough in a thin layer
  • Melt remaining butter and stir in sugar, ground almonds and flour.
  • Beat in eggs and almond extract
  • Pour topping over jam (again it will look like you don't have enough - it does rise in the oven)
  • Sprinkle over flaked almonds
  • Bake for 18-20 mins

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
I came across your blog yesterday and am already a fan - it reminds me of myself, though I haven't taken the plunge of starting my own blog yet! My grandmother also made these, and called them German slices for some strange reason. I make them every Christmas. I'd love to here from you at helendal@yahoo.com.
Helen (An Irish foodie in Munich)

Anonymous said...

Hi There! Ive been looking for the recipe all over the place after getting addicted to these while in England. Ur recipe is the closest I found to the ones I bought at Greggs and other awesome bakeries. However Im a bit stuck with the measurements and is 180 degree oven is in F or C? I know I may not sound too bright but Im new to cooking :(

Kate said...

Hi Anna,

Yes 180 deg is in C - the equivalent temperature in F would be 360. Hope this helps :-)